Wholesome to the Core is about living your best life including being active and healthy. One of the best ways to be active is to get your steps in. And 10,000 steps is about more than hitting the goal on your fitbit. Research studies point to the fact that 10,000 steps per day can help you lose weight, lower your blood pressure, lower your glucose, improve your mood and increase focus.
1. Set the intention and make it a priority. More importantly, write it down as a goal.
2. Wear an activity monitor. Leave the tracking to a small device instead of your phone.
3. Walk to the mailbox.
4. Walk on your lunch break.
5. Take a family walk after dinner.
6. Go on a hike this weekend.
7. March in place or pace the room while waiting for your food to cook, brushing your teeth or watching TV.
8. Park in the farthest spot from the entrance at the store.
9. Do some outdoor chores – mow or rake the lawn. The added benefit – Vitamin D.
10. Walk to a co-worker’s office instead of calling or emailing and you’ll earn 61 steps per minute.
11. Park RoboVac and go old school with the vacuuming already. 94 steps/minute and the satisfaction of vacuum tracks.
12. Wash the car. Skip the drive-thru and get scrub-a-dub-dubbing yourself. Even if it takes you only 15 minutes it’ll boost your count by about 1,000 steps.
13. Nix the elevator and take the stairs. There’s never a wait for the stairs.
14. Throw a living room dance party. Pick some music and dance with the family or with yourself. Dancing has been proven to automatically improve your mood.
15. Go hands-free. Pop in an earbud and take that conference call on the go. Strolling while you’re on a 30-minute phone call is worth more than 1,800 steps.
BONUS: Next time you’re at a theater performance or sporting event, walk around at intermission or halftime instead of remaining in your seat. It doesn’t matter how you do it, just get moving and keep living Wholesome to the Core.