Apple Braised Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup brown rice, dry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (20 ounces) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Toss the chicken in the flour until well coated.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, turning once, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the apples, onion, chicken broth and 1 tablespoon tarragon. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Remove chicken, onion and apples and keep warm. Add cream to juices in pan and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with remaining tarragon.
- NOTE: for a reduced fat version, substitute chicken broth for the heavy whipping cream. Whisk in a tablespoon of flour and cook until the juices are reduced slightly. The sauce won’t be as creamy, but will still be flavorful.
Entrée, Dinner, Quick, Easy, New