Gluten Free Apple Scones
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten Free Flour Blend (With Xantham Gum) – I used Namaste Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup frozen unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup diced apples, equal to about 1 medium apple cored and peeled
- 1 1/2 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (With Xantham Gum) – I used Namaste Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 TBSP Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk of choice
- 1/4 tsp maple or vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Grate frozen butter into large bowl of dry ingredients. Using dough blender, work butter into flour mixture until a grainy, meal texture forms.
- Gently stir in the milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla to bowl of dry ingredients – be careful not to over work the dough. Gently fold in diced apples – dough should come together and be somewhat sticky but not too dry. If it feels on the drier side, add a splash of milk.
- Make the streusel: in a small bowl combine butter, brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon until combined – mixture should be able to clump together.
- Shape dough into large circle, about 8″ in diameter, on prepared baking sheet. Using a large, sharp knife, make 8 triangle slices into dough and pull apart. Bake for 25 minutes until edges and tops are lightly browned.
- Let scones cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Scones will stay fresh in airtight container up to 3 days.
Recipe provided by: Blaine Markley – Sales at Rainier Fruit