Summer Cream Puffs (Red, White and Blue)
- 4 large ripe pears, peeled, cored, and diced into ½ squares
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons light agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons flour (for work surface)
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten
In a medium sauté pan, heat the butter until melted. Add the diced pears to the butter and cook until they begin to release some liquid, about 5-6 minutes. Add the vanilla bean (and the seeds), agave nectar, dried spices and grated ginger. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook until mixture begins to thicken and the fruit is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Working on a floured surface, roll out the pie crusts so that they are about ⅓-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cutter (I used a large mason jar lid), cut out rounds of the dough. Add a heaping spoonful of mixture to each round and fold over. Using a fork, crimp the edges to seal and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Once done, place the pies in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Before baking, vent each pie on the top with two small slits. Brush each with a bit of egg wash. Bake for 20-22 minutes (depending on your oven) or until bubbling and golden brown.
This recipe was developed by Tami Hardeman. Courtesy of USA Pears.
Quichemas, Breakfast, Brunch, Easy, New